Working at a Popeye's Franchise in South Central Mississippi
1. New Employees are trained to wear gloves when handling or preparing food. However, I observed TWO Assistant Managers (who had been there for months/years) handling Chicken without gloves. One handled raw chicken without gloves & One handled cooked Chicken without gloves.
2. In the Training Manual, it explains how to properly clean the fryers with water, and instill with NEW Grease.
The only way they taught me to "clean" the fryers - is by filtering the Grease out (with a hose) & replace it back in.
(I asked 1 of the crew members of that store who's been there a while, is that the ONLY way THEY do it? And he told me yes.)
3. The only time I ever pulled my cell phone out of my pocket was on my 30 minute lunch break. All other times, it was in my pocket on silent. But, many there (both Management & Crew) had to check their cells often, and at times, text.
4. The entire back area nor the front cash area was EVER swept nor mopped between 8am - 4pm. (During the time I was there.) There were enough workers, and there was some slow times, just no one did it. (They were too busy talking to each other or checking their cell phones, etc.)
5. Management does show partiality, and are rude to the ones they don't like. With 5 years of Retail Management under my belt, I can't stress ENOUGH how WRONG this is on so many levels. Definitely not good for Employee Retention, either.
6. And, Racism? You better believe it! If you aren't their skin color, they will treat you differently and talk to you like a dog. (It's their way of "getting rid of you/making you quit" because they only want their own race there.)
I would HIGHLY recommend the owner of this franchise (and other franchises!) install hidden cameras in the stores he owns. That way he can watch and see these types of things for himself. (Because I know that they will not want to take one person's word for it)
Also, The Motto for the Training Manual should be, "Do as I say, Not as I Do." - Because there's A Lot they will Tell/Teach you, yet they don't Practice what they Preach!