Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hughes Net and Wild Blue Satellite Internet

I posted this at a previous blog last year, but I just want every one to know about these services:



Now that I have been with Hughes Net Satellite Internet for a week, I can give a further review of their service.

Like WildBlue Satellite Internet Service, they have a limit on the amount of MB that you can use. But with Hughes Net Satellite it is a daily limit of 200 MB.

Now I am going to back track. Although I knew that I was exceeding my limit with Wild Blue Internet Service, I did not know by how much or any details. They did not give me a link to go check my usage, etc.

When I let WildBlue go and went back to dial up, I still had no idea how many MB I was using a day, a month, etc.

Now, with Hughes Net Satellite Internet Service, they give you a link where you can go check all of your information, including keeping an hour by hour report of your MB’s used.

My son logged into myspace, checked his messages on myspace, and listened to about 4 songs.

I checked the MB’s used after he done these few things, it was 60+ MB’s used.

Needless to say, as much as I do online, I am exceeding my limit every day within 2-3 hours.

For those of you who do not know what happens when you exceed your limit - the internet basically is shut off. You may can get your default home page to load if your lucky, but you can do basically nothing else.

I am glad that they have a 30 day no cancellation fee, because first thing Monday I am going to cancel their service.

Well I have learned my lesson. Satellite Internet Services charge $50+ a month and limit your usage to a ridiculously low amount.

With DSL, you are not limited. But Satellite Internet Services know that you are not capable of getting DSL if you are calling them in the first place. So they are going to take advantage of you. DSL - unlimited you can get now a days for $20-$40 a month. I will be so glad when DSL becomes available in my area. Until then, I may have low dial up service, but atleast I am not shut off after just a couple of hours.



UPDATE March 2009:
I did cancel my membership (with Hughes Net) within the 30 day time limit, yet they are still trying to charge me even though they claim there will be no fees if you cancel within 30 days. They have turned it over to their "collector"

I do not recommend Satellite Internet for anyone. If DSL is not available in your area, just keep calling, asking and aggravating them (who ever you like best for DSL) until it does become available.

It is such a pity that businesses like Wild Blue and Hughes Net even exist to rip people off.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This article really helped me out.
ToddDiroberto

Unknown said...

Yeah, and THANK YOU for the link with the lies....

Armil@dsl available in my area said...

That's true! that in using dsl you can have limitless time for you to use it rather using some that has its limitation in term of service.

Thanks for sharing about the great news you have experienced and shared it to us.

Anonymous said...

Hughes Net should be charged with fraud. I had them for 18 months and about 25% of that time I had relatively fast data transfers. 75% of that time, I had slower than dialup speeds. Their technical service is a JOKE. If you can get someone that speaks English, you are fortunate. If you get someone who can fix your issue, you just witnessed a miracle!. I dropped my contract at a big cost but it was worth it because my blood pressure dropped 100 points since.

What really got to me is that they would acknowledge the poor speeds but told me that if I read my contract it specified "speeds up to...". To them dialup speed was sufficient. HUGHES NET is a big rip off.

Unknown said...

this helped me to make up my mind

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments.

Since I made this post a few years ago, it would be nice to know if they have improved their package deals and service.

Anonymous said...

No, speed is still a major issue. Counting the days until my contract expires.

Anonymous said...

Thanks... my two-year contract was completed in October, and I have beein in agony about what to do, since... I live 11 miles up a canyon, so there aren't many choices, but I'm going to terminate, then nag the phone company!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments.