Saturday, December 8, 2012

"Free Stuff" Sites Share Your Information

Everyone loves free stuff. But do you know what happens when you sign up for these websites that offer "free stuff"? They share your personal information (rather you want them to or not) with annoying telemarketers.

I had managed to get rid of the annoying telemarketers back several years ago.

However, recently I signed up with "freeflys" and "bsavings". Within 24 hours I started getting calls from telemarketers.

This was one call: "Hello, my name is ___ and I'm calling from ___. You recently filled out a form online stating that a member of your household suffers from ___."

After that paragraph, I'm sure all she heard on the other line was silence, because I hit the "end call" button on my cell phone.

If she was using a landline phone, she may have eventually heard, "If you'd like to make a call, please check the number and try again."

But, everyone is right. It's not nearly as much fun hitting the "end call" button as it use to be by slamming the phone down on someone. Sometimes I miss my landline phone. (Not often, though.)

The only reason I put my REAL phone number (and not an old disconnected number, like I usually do) is because they were also including me in drawings for money and prizes. I definitely want to be contacted if I win something, but it's disrespectful for them to share your number and info with annoying telemarketers.

So, for those of you who wonder how these telemarketers get your phone number, now you know.

No comments: